Saturday, March 1, 2008

#16 (WEEK 7) Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them #17 (Week 7) Add an entry to "Sandbox" Wiki

#16 (Week 7) Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them

#17 (Week 7) Add an entry to "Sandbox" Wiki

I love the concept and activities that can take place in a collaborative environment like a wiki. My favorite wiki idea was from the Princeton Public Library wiki entitled Booklovers. I am planning a one book one district program next year and can see how a wiki and/or blog would be a great resource for the event. Unfortunately for our student’s blogs, wiki’s and other Web2.0 tools have yet to pass through the fire walls of our county and district. I started a wiki awhile back (napkincommunications) and can see many other educational applications. I am just very frustrated that the only time this tool is accessible to me, my colleagues or students is from home – kind of defeats the purpose.

1 comment:

librarymum said...

I too am frustrated by the district blocking of so many web 2.0 tools. Wikis and blogs make it through mine, but Flickr has now disappeared and so have nings. I am going to suggest that we as an organization work on suggestions for dealing with this problem. I understand that our networks cannot be open to everything on the web, and that some sites like YouTube can take up a hugh amount of bandwidth, as well as be full of questionable material, but I still think we need to figure out ways to use the good stuff in our teaching. Just my thoughts!